If you love bacon and cheese (hello comfort food classic) you’re going to love this Au Gratin Cauliflower, also known as a keto cheesy bacon cauliflower gratin.
You could even call it a low carb mac and cheese!
What’s different about it is that it uses thin slices of cauliflower, like a traditional gratin but instead of potato, I’ve used cauliflower to make it keto friendly.
How to make a white sauce with cauliflower
This white/cream cheese sauce uses a medley of cheeses including cream cheese, mozzarella and parmesan for the best flavour and of course some cream to make the perfect sauce for the au gratin cauliflower.
To start, simply add to a pan:
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 Tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
Mix until combined using a spatula or hand balloon whisk. Reduce the heat to medium/ low and simmer until the sauce thickens.
Keto Cauliflower Au Gratin with heavy cream
Heavy cream (or just cream) can be used for the sauce, however, if you’re dairy-free, you might also consider using coconut cream (white part only) to make a similar sauce.
Everybody loves dairy, so if you can tolerate lactose, then heavy cream is the way to go! It tastes so delicious when combined with the bacon, onion and cauliflower in this Au Gratin Cauliflower recipe.
I used a mandoline to get cut the cauliflower nice and even. I also used smaller baby cauliflowers, but you can use a larger one and just break into large florets and slice. You can use the ends too so as not to waste them.
More Delicious Keto Side Dishes
Au Gratin Cauliflower
- 12 slices streaky bacon chopped (200g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small yellow onion 70g
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cream cheese 120g
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella 56g (or cheddar)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan 30g
- 2 tbsp water to thin
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper cracked or to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 large cauliflower 470g (or 6 baby cauliflowers)
- Option to top with fresh thyme
- Preheat oven 392F / 200C / 180 fan.
- Add the bacon to non-stick frying pan and cook for 3 minutes. Add the butter and olive oil, onion, garlic, sea salt and black pepper and sauté for 3 more minutes until the onions are soft. Remove from the pan and set side.
- Add the heavy cream, cream cheese, mozzarella,1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, mustard, 2 tbsp water and seasoning into the pan. Mix until combined using a spatula or hand balloon whisk. Reduce the heat to medium/ low and simmer until the sauce thickens. Once thick, stir in the bacon and onion. Taste and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Slice the cauliflower into 1/2 cm thick slices. I used a mandoline to get them nice and even and baby cauliflowers but you can use a larger one and just break into large florets and slice. You can use the ends too so as not to waste them.
- Grease an oven proof cast iron pan or gratin dish with a little butte (mine was 10 inch x 2 inches). Add a thin layer of sauce on the bottom, followed by some cauliflower slices, more sauce, another layer of cauliflower and top with a final layer of sauce and sprinkle the remaining parmesan over the top of the dish. Depending on the size of your dish you may prefer to have 1 or 2 layers of cauliflow-er and 2 or 3 layers of sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and cook for a further 15 minutes or until golden on top and the cauliflower is tender. Option to top with fresh thyme for prettiness.
Need A Keto Shopping List?
Check out my keto foods list with free printable pdf and flavour pairings guide.
Tips & Notes:
Do You Know Your Macros?
Check out my free personalised macro calculator