Cauliflower Cheese – Low Carb Ketogenic Family Favourite
What is a ketogenic blog without a recipe for cauliflower cheese? Cauliflower is a fantastic vegetable on a low carb diet due to its versatility. It can be used as a rice substitute, a flour substitute and even fried substitute.
If you’re looking for what to do with cauliflower, then look no further. This broccoli cauliflower cheese casserole is held together with cheese, cheese sauce and deliciously fresh herbs and spices.
What to serve with cauliflower cheese? I usually serve this dish with roasted meats, grilled fish with lemon or some spicy grilled tofu. Be careful with Tofu, as excess soy products can increase your calcium levels, and in some instances has been known to lower your magnesium levels.
This cheesy cauliflower bake is great for side dishes with an easy white sauce, or eaten as a main meal with some extra herbs and spices. This healthy low carb cauliflower cheese will be your families next favourite dish that can easily replace mashed potato.
This easy cauliflower cheese recipe contains good sources of protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Manganese.
Cauliflower comes in many different colours, however most commonly known as white.It also comes in orange, green and purple. The cauliflower belongs to the same family as the cabbage, Brussel sprouts, broccoli and collard greens. It’s a winter vegetable, so if you want to buy them cheap, they are best purchased and eaten in winter. Great time to make Cauliflower Cheese.
Cauliflower is also known for its fantastic anti-inflammatory properties. It contains 5% total carbohydrates, and 3% net carbs, so this is a fantastic vegetable from a macro standpoint to be including in your ketogenic diet.
- 800 g Cauliflower cut into small florets
- 50 g Butter
- 1/2 tsp Guar Gum
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Cheese Grated
- White pepper
- 2 tsp Salt
- Lightly brush a baking pan with melted butter.
- Place the cauliflower into a saucepan, add water and 1 tsp salt, then bring to the boil. Cook until tender.
- Whilst the cauliflower is cooking, grab another saucepan and add the butter. Melt and heat until the butter becomes foamy.
- Add the guar gum, and slowly add the coconut milk. Stirring constantly. Add ½ cup grated cheese to the sauce and cook for 5 mins.
- Drain the cauliflower and place into the baking pan. Season with remaining salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and cover with remaining cheese.
- Grill on medium high until the top is golden brown. (usually around 5 mins)