So, what exactly is a chaffle? well, as the name suggests, its a cheese waffle made with only 2 ingredients. Cheese, and eggs. They turn super crispy and can be covered in syrup, or made into the ultimate burger buns.
What Are Chaffles?
As the name suggests, its a cheese waffle made with only 2 ingredients. Cheese, and eggs. They turn super crispy and can be covered in syrup, or made into the ultimate burger buns.
Chaffles have been a hit on Instagram recently, plus everyone has been searching for them on the website… so I thought I’d better master them before the weekend so you could get cracking!
Which Waffle Iron Should You Use For Chaffles?
Ideally, you should just use whatever waffle iron you have at home. Adapting the recipe is part of the fun, so don’t feel like you need to go out and buy a specific waffle iron for this recipe.
However, if you have the mini waffle maker, this will be ideal (since you can make a sandwich out of the chaffles)
How Do I Make The Perfect Keto Chaffle?
I’ve put together some helpful graphics below to show you visually what too much egg might look like.
As you can see, the chaffle made above used 2 eggs (in a large waffle maker), which would be the equivalent of using 2/3rd of a large egg in a mini waffle maker.
Adding Too Much Egg:
- Turns soft (doubled the recipe)
- Doesn’t turn crispy
- Perfect for sweet waffles
As you can see in the image above, these chaffles will be perfect for crispy savory chaffles, and are made just right.
Following the recipe:
- Turns crispy
- Doesn’t turn soft
- Hardens once it cools
- Perfect for savory waffles
Expert Crunch Tips:
To make this recipe super crunchy, keep the original recipe. If you want your waffle slightly less crunchy and a little softer, add 1 more egg for the large waffle iron, or another 1/3 of a whisked egg for the small waffle iron.
Additional Chaffle Toppings / Fillings:
To make these chaffles sweet, you could use either 1/4 cup of queens sugar-free maple syrup (AUS) or same amount Walden Farms pancake syrup (US)
Queens Sugar-Free Maple Syrup (available at Coles and Woolworths)
Try making two chaffles, and placing butter on the inside, and a beef burger pattie with bacon and a little side of arugula (rocket). Think of these chaffels as burger buns to which you can put as many toppings on as you like.
What does it look like on Instagram?
Here are some of the top posts from #chaffles over on Instagram. Some great inspiration here for anyone wanting to try to make the savoury version as delicious as possible.
This image above belongs to Instagram profile @culinarylionketo (go follow him for epic chaffles!)
That’s it, folks. If you have any questions on how to get the best chaffle recipe done right, be sure to leave it in the comments below!
Easy Keto Chaffles (2 Ingredients)
- Waffle Maker
- small spray of avocado oil or olive oil/coconut oil
Large Waffle Iron (as shown in photos)
- 2 oz cheese thinly sliced (cheddar or Colby work best)
- 1 large egg whisked
Small Waffle Iron (single waffle ingredients)
- 1 oz cheese thinly sliced (cheddar or Colby work best)
- 1/3 large egg whisked
- Spray avocado oil on first, then cover the bottom of your HOT waffle maker in thin cheese slices. (I cut mine into triangles because I have a larger waffle iron)
- Whisk together 1 egg (if you’re using a mini waffle iron, only use 1/3rd on an egg) and pour on top.
- Place another layer of thin-sliced cheese on top, making sure you have an even coverage.
- Cook the absolute shit out of it, until you can lift the waffle iron up without the cheese sticking (excuse my Aussie accent) - Usually takes around 6-8 minutes depending on your waffle iron