Just when you thought lasagna wasn’t keto, think again! Using the power of eggplant, cheese and a few other delicious ingredients, you can create a lasagna that replicates the original in taste and appearance. Read on for all the juicy tips.
This keto lasagna recipe is a great recipe to put together for the family, as it serves large portions easily without any extra effort.
A little warning, since this lasagna is made using eggplant, it doesn’t hold together like regular lasagna. It’s simply impossible to achieve a uniform piece without the starchiness of regular pasta to bind the layers together.
This eggplant lasagna would also make a perfect meal prep recipe. You could assemble the ingredients into individual portions and bake separately.
It’s also a great time to experiment with alternative cuts of meat or varieties that wouldn’t otherwise be thought of. I’ve made this lasagna with kangaroo meat, which is lean in fat and high in protein. You can decide on the meat depending on which way you want to push the macros.
Using kangaroo mince would make it higher in protein and a little lower in calories than using beef. A typical 80% lean ground beef lasagna would include slightly higher fat and calories in comparison.
I’ve used pre-sliced cheese in this recipe for convenience, but feel free to use grated cheese as a substitute, since it’s basically the same thing. Many easy lasagna recipes use cheese slices since you can get really even coverage without too much mess.
If you’ve made this recipe for you or your family, take a photo and tag me on Instagram. I love seeing recipes being shared!
- 2 large Eggplants sliced into 1 cm sheets (1/3" slices)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Salt
Beef Tomato Sauce
- 1 kg Beef Mince (Ground Beef) 2.2 lbs
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 whole Onion diced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves or 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 800 g crushed tomatoes 28 oz
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups full-fat ricotta cheese 500g / 17.5 oz
- 1 large Egg
- 3 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 15 slices Cheese 350g / 12.5 oz
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 C (355 F).
- Using a large knife, slice the eggplant into 1 cm (0.6-inch) slices and place on a baking tray. Coat the eggplant slices with the oil and salt. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove and let cool.
Beef Tomato Sauce
- Heat a large pot set over high heat. Add the ground beef, garlic, onion, basil and oregano, and cook until the meat turns brown and the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste, cover and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg and Parmesan cheese until uniform in colour. Cover and set aside in the fridge.
- In an 8-inch x 13-inch (20 cm x 33 cm) baking dish, place a layer of the beef tomato sauce to cover the bottom.
- Place 5 or 6 eggplant slices over the sauce to cover.
- Cover completely with cheese slices.
- Spread the white ricotta sauce over the cheese slices to cover. Repeat the layers until there are no ingredients left. Cover the top with the remaining cheese slices and 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly for 15 minutes. Slice into 12 portions and serve.
Need A Keto Shopping List?
Check out my keto foods list with free printable pdf and flavour pairings guide.
Tips & Notes:
Do You Know Your Macros?
Check out my free personalised macro calculator