Keto coffee jelly is a recipe made by using gelatin to set coffee into a delicious jelly, covered with a sweet cream made without sugar. Its delicious, and so easy to make for the week.
The main ingredient in jelly is usually gelatin, which you can easily buy from your local grocery store in the baking isle. Gelatin powder is a great ingredient to use in cooking, since it has so many applications.
This recipe was popularized in Japan, and is usually serve as a drink with a milk, or watered down cream. Since jelly and cream go so well together, why not just keep it as jelly right?
Health Benefits of Gelatin
Gelatin is a hydrolyzed form of collagen, which helps with skin, hair, nails plus many other things necessary to live a happy healthy life.
Its made by dehydrating parts of animals, including skin, bones and tissue. It’s colorless and tasteless. Like collagen, it help improve gut health and digestion.
Glycine from gelatin can help the mucus lining in the stomach and help balance your digestive enzymes.
Gelatin neutralizes methionine levels, which eating a lot of meat can create high levels of (actually, homocystine, in a round about way). Carnivore dieters should consider gelatin, as it neutralizes excessive methionine intake (which increases homocysteine levels).
Glycine is also an inhibitory neurotransmitter which acts in a similar way to anti-depressants only without the nasty side effects.
Unlike collagen, gelatin creates a gell substance that is useful in cooking, especially when creating jelly.
Substitutes for Gelatin
A helpful substitue for gelatin is called Agar Agar, and is made from Red Algae, but is similar in structure to guar gum. It sets like gelatin, but in a much clearer way. Best used if you want a harder style of jelly.
Used in cooking throughout Asia and Russia and is a fantastic vegetarian substitute for gelatin. It has been used in weight loss throughout japan, and recently in the US.
Hope you enjoy making this easy keto coffee jelly recipe. If I’ve missed anything, leave it in the comments below.
Keto Coffee Jelly
- 1 oz Gelatin Powder
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 cup cold water
- 4 tsp instant coffee
- In a large bowl, mix together the hot water and gelatin powder. Stir until dissolved
- Add the instant coffee, and stir until fully dissolved. Add the cold water, cover and place into the refrigerator for 4 hours or until completely set.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the cream, vanilla extract and liquid stevia. Mix until uniform in color and place into the refrigerator covered.
- To serve, use a large blade and slice into the jelly horizontally and vertically as many times as desired. Less cuts will produce larger chunks, more cuts will produce smaller chunks. Serve 1 cup of coffee jelly with 1/4 cup cream mixture and enjoy.
- Cream will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, or can me frozen in 1/4 cup batches for up to 1 week. Jelly will last up to 1 week.