This episode is a little bonus episode, where I basically do a podcast on a post-race digest, but instead of someone else, I’ll be interviewing myself.
If you’re interested in completing your own keto half marathon or keto marathon in a ketogenic state, then I’ve put together a training plan just for you
- I always like to have some sort of crazy goal,
- that’s usually out of reach of my current potential
- or done in a different way
- without these goals, I default to being a lazy slob with no purpose.
- Goals? ride through Europe, three peaks challenge Melbourne, and recently this marathon.
- How I got into the ketogenic diet,
- King of bananas
- implemented during my three peaks training, got a six pack but hit walls all over the place, and decided to put it on the back burner for a while.
- Went too low carb, and wasn’t able to burn fat fast enough for the heart rate I was putting out.
- Common mistakes I have experienced/see people doing
- 3 runs per week
- 1 interval run
- 1 tempo run
- 1 long run
- Bike rides
- Core workouts
- So, how did the race go?
- Fast Half (too fast)
- Slow middle, hit a wall around 25kms
- Last 7 km finished well
- Last 2 km I was finally overtaking others
- Nutrition for the race
- Pre-race almond butter packets and 1 coffee
- 4 scoops of low carb fuel by Endura
- 1 packet of almond butter mixed with MCT oil
- Water at most aid stations after 10kms
- A small amount of Endura at aid stations 30kms and 35kms
- 2 bottles of water and a high protein bar. (straight away)
- Home – scrambled eggs with butter, ½ avocado, and some camembert.
- Final Thoughts – Trickle in carbs using a Zach Bitter Approach.
- Fast half marathon, which felt easy.
- Burnt through too much glycogen, which resulted in a 25km wall
- Pace went from under 6min km to 6:30, 7, 7:30, at times 8mins
- Once I got to the 30km mark, I was able to get my heart rate down to Maff zone, sit in around 7:30min km
- Until the last 2kms which I finished in under 6min km.
- Final thoughts? A slower start, no crash, strong finish.
- What’s your favorite keto food? – Eggs
- What’s your favorite style of training run? ? Either a long run that pushes your limits or a short fast interval run which gives you a runner’s high
- What’s your least favorite keto food? – I don’t have one because I grew up in a large family, which means if you don’t eat it, there isn’t anything else. Brussels sprouts.
- What’s your least favorite training run? Tempo Runs at a high pace or one without an agreed-on finish.
- Who are you currently inspired by?
- Michael Shelley – Commonwealth games gold at GC and Glasgow
- Kenneth Mungara – 45 year old runner who won Gold Coast Marathon
- Kurt Fernley – An inspiring athlete gold in Paralympics Athens, Beijing, commonwealth games
- Madison de Rozario – Wheelchair marathon racer gold at Doha, London, Gold Coast
- Gwen Jorgensen – 2016 Olympic Gold Triathlon – Training Tactics
- Bradley Wiggins – Tour De France Winner 2012, Hour Record – Book (My Hour)
- Marianne Vos – Dutch Cyclist who is pushing women and cycling
- Zach Bitter – 12 hour World Record,100-mile American record holder.
- Ben Greenfield – Diving into low carb endurance and sharing his experience.
- Alex Honold – Climber who is pushing the boundaries of free climbing
- Kent Beasley, Part of the organization team at Brisbane Cycling Club.
- Who is your number 1 supporter?
- My partner Adele
- What book or video you’ve watched recently inspired you?
- The subtle art of not giving a F#$@#
- Dan Mace Recent Youtube Videos
- What music have you been listening to recently? (do you find music puts you off)
- Fat Freddie’s Drop
- The Black Seeds
- Kendrick Lamar
- Two Door Cinema Club
- Django Reindheart
- Charlie Parker
- Rodrigo Y Gabriella
What would you tell someone transitioning from high carb endurance into a low carb style? and what wouldn’t you tell them? ? Still Hurts
Strava Activity -> https://www.strava.com/activities/1672900533
[iframe style=”border:none” src=”//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/6765485/height/100/width/480/thumbnail/no/render-playlist/no/theme/custom/tdest_id/745860/custom-color/2eb2ff” height=”100″ width=”480″ scrolling=”no” allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen]
The FatForWeightLoss Show