Keto Meat Pie
Australians love their meat pies. You can get them at every petrol station (we call them servo’s) along with some kind of sugar-filled iced coffee beverage. Its a tradesman’s breakfast & lunch.
A good old Australian meat pie and an afternoon at the footy screaming your team to victory goes hand in glove. It’s very Aussie!
Going Keto means you cannot indulge in such foods, especially the sugar filled iced coffees! But not to worry, now you can make a Keto Meat Pie and wash it down with a bulletproof coffee!
The original meat pie was simple mutton with gravy, but we have become quite dandy with our pies in both the making and the eating of them.
We now have many and varied styles of the pie. Beef and bacon, pea pies, anything you can think you. Bacon and Eggs. You name it! Our famous Aussie pies have stood the test of time with brands such as Sargent, Four and Twenty and Mrs Mac’s being able to trace their history back many generations.
Horror stories always roam the streets which state that some pies are filled with the leftover meat from the butcher’s floor. If you come to Australia and you hear this, maybe its time to start making your own.
Keto Meat Pie Recipe Notes
Some other recipes for Keto Meat Pies I’ve noticed using the same kind of bread/pastry around the entire casing. This is wrong! the top needs to be crisp and a little bit like puff pastry. At the very least the bottom and top need to be different.
I used pizza base as the pie topping, which actually worked out really well!
Hopefully, you enjoy this Keto Meat Pie as much as I enjoyed creating it.
- 79g Fat
- 51g Protein
- 10g Carbs
- 970 Calories
Due to the caloric content, I would suggest only eating half! They are super filling.
If I’ve missed anything (like Worcestershire sauce because I hate it) then leave a comment!
Keto Meat Pie
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 water
- 60 g Butter Chilled
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 Egg
- 200 g Mince
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Carrot
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Stock Cube
- 200 ml water
- 1 tsp Xanthium gum
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Sauce Sugar Free
- 1 tsp Gelatin Optional
- Add crust ingredients into bowl and mix with a fork. The butter will be hard to press, but stick with it!
- Place the ingredients into a baking pan and press out the bottom and edges. I used a measuring cup to do all the hard work for me. Place in the fridge while you get the filling ready.
- In a pan, add the onion first with the olive oil and smell the wonderful aromas. Add the meat and remaining vegetables until the mince is cooked. Place the remaining ingredients into the pan and let it simmer for 5 mins. The liquid should be congregating nicely.
- Remove the pie crust from the fridge and place the meat inside.
- Melt the mozzarella cheese in the microwave for 60 secs, add the coconut flour and egg until it resembles dough. Roll out into round pie crust toppings like shown in the photos.
- Make the pie topping base exactly like you would in this recipe https://www.fatforweightloss.com.au/recipe/keto-fathead-pizza/
- Place in the oven at 180 degrees C (360f) for 15-20 mins (until top is brown). Enjoy!
Need A Keto Shopping List?
Check out my keto foods list with free printable pdf and flavour pairings guide.
Do You Know Your Macros?
Check out my free personalised macro calculator