Ever eaten Nutella straight out of the jar with a spoon? Remember that creamy aerated texture that would never stop at just one spoon? Well, this Keto Nutella tastes exactly like the real thing, only without the sugar, and with plenty of added healthy fats.
A lot of the taste of Nutella actually comes from the roasted hazelnuts, so roasting them in the oven for 10 minutes to remove the outer husk is very important. You can simply rub off the husk once they have cooled down. Removing the husk ensures that the Nutella is creamy and smooth. You can keep the husk and sprinkle it over salads to sure you’re keeping all the good bits.
I purchased these hazelnuts from Coles in 150g lots, so using 2 bags of these nuts was perfect for a 300ml jar of homemade Nutella.
All of the ingredients in this homemade Nutella are vegetarian, vegan and keto friendly, which makes this dessert the perfect option to take to social occasions. Unfortunately, I haven’t come up with a nut-free version just yet, but sesame seeds could make a fantastic option.
It goes very well with a slice or two of Keto Bread and it’s just as smooth as normal Nutella. Chocolate hazelnut spread is one of my favourites to keep in the fridge to ward off a pesky sweet tooth to ensure I’m eating something keto friendly as opposed to letting my diet slip.
If you’ve read this far, you might get a kick out of this photo (or not) at the way I chopped the keto bread below…
I hope you enjoyed making this recipe as much as I did creating it for you. If you love nutella, and you loved this recipe, then make sure you share it with a friend.
- Heat a fan forced oven to 180C (355F), place all hazelnuts into a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes
- Remove the nuts, and let them cool. Once cooled, remove the outside husk of the hazelnut by rubbing them between your fingers.
- Using a food processor, grind the nuts until they are fine enough to start to clump together.
- Slowly add the coconut oil, powdered erythritol, salt, vanilla extract and cocoa powder. Continue in the food processor on high until completely smooth.
- Pour into an airtight container, and keep in the fridge for a smooth hard texture, or in the cupboard for a spreadable mixture.