Shortbread cookies should be super buttery and mouthwateringly delicious, and this keto shortbread recipe is exactly that. It’s simply perfect – and it looks as good as it tastes.
Made from a base of almond flour, butter and low carb sweetener, they’re just 1.6g net carbs per serve. If you’d like to flavour them up you can substitute the vanilla with almond extract and even experiment with some lemon zest or orange zest too.
I made a plain version for you today but these are also wonderful half dunked in melted sugar-free dark chocolate (or you can use 85% + dark chocolate) and then allowed to set on a baking tray in the fridge.
Super simple but utterly divine! These Keto Shortbread are perfectly moist, a little crumbly, rich and buttery. Exactly like a good shortbread should be but minus all the carbs.
Top Tips For The Best Keto Shortbread
Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to make the shortbread easy to cut out.
Spread the cookies over two baking trays to allow for a little spread as they cook.
Option to add 3 fork marks to the top of the shortbread for authenticity. This doesn’t alter the texture or baking, it’s just for aesthetics.
Allow the shortbread to fully cool before eating as they firm up as they cool.
Xanthan gum is essential for this recipe to enable the cookies to hold together as there is no egg.
- Preheat the oven to 350F / 180C / 160 fan.
- Add the butter and erythritol to a mixing bowl. Whisk for 2 minutes using an electric whisk until slightly pale. Stir through the vanilla / almond extract and stevia drops.
- To a clean mixing bowl, add the almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Mix to com-bine.
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients and whisk with an electric whisk to combine. Use your hands to then form a ball of dough.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Roll the dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper about 3/4cm thick. Cut into circles using a 6.5cm cookie cutter. Keep re-rolling the dough until all the dough is used up. You should get 15 cookies. Place the shortbread on 2 greaseproof lined baking trays making sure there is enough space between them to allow for a little spread in the oven. Op-tion to add 3 fork marks to the top of each cookie for a more authentic looking shortbread.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until slightly golden on top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Note these cookies will firm up as they cool so try not to over bake.
Need A Keto Shopping List?
Check out my keto foods list with free printable pdf and flavour pairings guide.
Tips & Notes:
Do You Know Your Macros?
Check out my free personalised macro calculator