These keto taco cups are delicious, full of flavour and work well as a quick dinner recipe, or even a meal prep idea suitable for the whole family.
There are a few key ingredients that make these taco cups keto. Rather than using a tortilla shell which has loads of carbs, this recipe uses Parmesan shells to add the ground meat mixture to.
Keto Taco Cups
There is nothing cheaper than putting together some ground meat and a few spices to create a dish that’s packed with protein and lots of healthy fats. Try adding a garnish of avocado and tomatoes to give this dish a boost of freshness and colour.
Using Parmesan cheese as a base means you can have a salty, crisp outer layer that crunches like a taco shell but doesn’t contain anywhere near as many carbohydrates. As a result, you will be able to stay in a steady state of ketosis to allow your body to burn fat.
The cheese cups need to be cooked in a tray that has heatproof sections so that the cheese can harden into a cup shape while cooling down. Cupcake or muffin trays are the best for this type of thing.
Instead of using ground pork, you can use any type of ground meat you like. Beef, chicken, lamb, and mushrooms all make great substitutes depending on what you can eat according to your diet.
Sour cream is a delicious topping, but feel free to top with extra cheese, a little Greek yogurt, or even yogurt mixed with garlic and cucumber for more of a Lebanese feel.
Once the cheese hardens, the cups are solid enough to pick up and tackle in a few bites.
You can add any toppings you like, but steer away from the beans and sweet sauces that are typically paired with a traditional taco.
Keto Taco Cups
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g Ground Pork 10 oz, substitute with beef or chicken if desired
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 60 g Parmesan cheese 2 oz, grated
- 3 tbsp Sour Cream
- Preheat the oven to 200 C (390 F).
- In a medium frying pan, heat the olive oil. Add the ground pork with the paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper until brown.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with parchment paper. Place six 2 tbsp portions of the grated Parmesan cheese onto the baking tray into round flat circles, about 13 cm (5-inch) in diameter. You may require a second baking tray.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes or until the Parmesan cheese melts and turns slightly golden around the edges. Remove from the oven. Using a flat spatula, move each cheese disc into a well of a cupcake tray. Pinch the sides together in one section to form a cup. Let the cheese cool down and solidify.
- Once the pork is cooked, spoon into the cheese taco cups. Finish with a dollop of sour cream and your favourite garnishes.
- Serve warm immediately. Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Expert TipsMaking the cheese cups needs to be done in a tray that has heatproof sections so that the cheese can harden while it's cooling down into a cup shape. Cupcake or muffin trays are the best for this type of thing. Instead of using ground pork, you can use any type of ground meat you like. Beef, chicken, lamb, and mushrooms all make great substitutes for each other, depending on what you can eat according to your diet. Sour cream is a delicious topping, but feel free to top with extra cheese, a little Greek yogurt, or even yogurt mixed with garlic and cucumber for more of a Lebanese feel.
Any questions? please search the help center on my website by clicking here