Keto Vegemite Scrolls
Keto Vegemite Scrolls are a favorite snack in Australia. They are simple enough to make in under 30 mins and taste delicious. This vegemite recipe replica has been on my mind for the past few weeks, but finally, I perfected the recipe during the week, and I’m happy to share with you this fantastic snack that could easily be made into a quick meal for on the go lunches.
These cheese and vegemite scrolls are so delicious, that I ate the entire batch within the same day I made it, so caution if you’re making these just for one person. Divvy them out into portions so that you are not tempted to devour the entire batch all at once, and have vegemite scroll regret.
Vegemite is a black spread that is very popular in Australia. Most countries have a certain product that they are proud to show travellers, but Australia has vegemite… It’s seriously cringe-worthy if you have never tried it before, but much like all good things, the love for vegemite comes with an acquired taste.
Vegemite scrolls are usually made from puff pastry, so a simple replacement for puff pastry on the ketogenic diet is what is called a “fathead” base. This is a mixture of mozzarella cheese, egg and almond flour. It’s used mostly as a pizza base, but I’ve used it for cinnamon scrolls as well!
If you really wanted to, you might even be able to create a pie top with this style of fathead cheese base, but beware it’s much higher in calories compared to a regular sheet of puff pastry, so I’d make the pies smaller.
Australians love vegemite, and Australians love food. It happens to be a very good source of both B vitamins and sodium chloride, both important on the ketogenic diet.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. Maybe I’m just a vegemite freak, but I’m okay with that!
Keto Vegemite Scrolls
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 2 Tbsp Vegemite
- 2 Tbsp Cream Cheese
- Place 1 cup of mozzarella cheese into the microwave safe bowl and heat for 90 seconds.
- Add the egg and almond flour, and mix with a fork. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper to make a slightly thick square sheet of cheese
- Cook for 10 mins at 180c (355f)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool (I cooled it quickly by putting the baking paper back on top and rubbing the surface with ice blocks)
- Mix the vegemite with the cream cheese until it becomes a consistent paste. Spread over the cooled cheese from the oven, and sprinkle with the remiaining mozzarella cheese
- Lift one edge of the cheese base and roll up. Slice into 6 peices and place them horizontally on the baking pan. Cook for another 2-5 mins in the oven just so that the cheese melts inside, but the base remains structually intact.
- Serve and enjoy!