Cloud bread is a great substitute for bread on the ketogenic diet. The term “cloud” comes from the fact that its quite light and fluffy tasting, which comes from the egg whites being mixed and folded into the rest of the recipe.
Cloud bread is a much lighter alternative to the Keto Bread and works perfectly in any situation. It is seriously a good burger bun or even an Asian bao bun! I have used cheese and ham in the photo above, but you can pretty much put whatever toppings on it you like.
Cloud bread is a staple recipe for the ketogenic diet. There are many kinds of different bread substitutes, but if you’re looking for something light and fluffy like white bread, then these are your go-to recipe.
Ideally, on a ketogenic diet you would be edging more towards whole foods and mixed vegetables, but sometimes all you want is something easy to take to work or to have a sandwich and feel like a normal person again.
Do Eggs Contain Good or Bad Fats?
One large egg has around 5g of fat. About 3g of that fat comes from healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, or MUFAs and PUFAs. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats help protect your heart by regulating cholesterol levels. These fats may also help reduce your risk of type 2 diabetes by helping to regulate insulin levels, which stabilizes your blood sugar.
How To Make Cloud Bread
The steps are very simple, but you have to be quick in order to maintain the fluffy texture that makes these cloud bread buns perfectly light and delicious.
- Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar in a glass bowl that is perfectly dry, with room temperature eggs.
- Beat the egg yolks, cream cheese and (optionally) garlic powder.
- Fold the mixture together slowly to maintain the fluffy structure of the eggs.
- Use a large spoon to make round dollops onto your baking tray.
An Egg A Day Keeps The Doctor Away… If you’re a good shot!
You can read more about the ketogenic diet in the post at the bottom of this page. It outlines how fats are not the culprit they were once made out to be. Fats combined with high carbohydrate diets, however, can cause issues as the body loses its ability to burn fat once there is plenty of carbohydrate energy available to burn.
I hope you like this recipe!
Keto Cloud Bread - Low Carb Burger Buns
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Cream Of Tartar
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder (Optional)
- Crack the eggs and seperate the whites from the yolks. Put all the whites into a bowl and whisk with an electric mixer for 1 - 2 mins.
- Add the Cream Of Tartar and whisk again for another 1 min. The mixture should start making soft peaks
- In another bowl, add the yolks and the cream cheese and garlic powder (optional), mixing on high until well combined. Gently fold this mixture into the egg whites.
- Spoon out the final mixture onto a tray lined with baking paper. They do fluff up a bit in the oven so leave enough space to breathe!
- Put in the oven at 180 c ( 375F ) for 15-20 mins until slightly golden brown on top. Serve and enjoy!