Carbonara pasta is such an easy keto recipe, super creamy, and such an easy family dinner as a substitute for normal pasta (or eaten in combination with your family). Its so easy, and tastes like you’ve just visited an Italian home in the hills of Tuscany. Pure Deliciousness.
Do you ever feel like you’re missing out at dinner time?
A common issue with the ketogenic diet (or any type of lifestyle change) is you regularly end up eating meals that are different to your family and friends. Its a common problem, so don’t feel like you’re alone.
We might feel that it’s unfair that others get to “eat what they want” and it never touches the sides, but you’re taking control, so don’t let anyone ruin your groove.
Keto pasta recipes are a fantastic meal to make, since the sauce can often be used for both you and your family, while you switch out their traditional pasta for your keto friendly pasta alternative.
These noodles are made from Konjac root, which is a root vegetable that is comprised of 100% fiber, which makes it 0g net carbs.
Traditional Carbonara Pasta
By no means is this a traditional carbonara pasta recipe. I’m pretty sure any Italian out there would already be wanting to strangle me, but since there is no starch in the pasta to emulsify the fat with the water, I’ll stick with this recipe for now.
Adding chicken to a carbonara pasta recipe also isn’t traditional, but its tasty and adds flavor and texture.
Also note, I have garnished this carbonara with diced chili (hot red pepper), feel free to do the same.
Keto Friendly Pasta Alternatives
We’re all about low carb here, so finding pasta alternatives that actually taste good is a must.
Konjac pasta noodles can sometimes taste quite rubbery. The way to avoid this is by dry frying the noodles before adding them to the sauce. It allows the noodle to turn a whiter color, it also removes the seaweed / fishy taste they sometimes have.
Kojnac noodles are great, however they can get a little pricey. If you don’t know how to make konjac noodles, you can check out my cooking recipe here.
This recipe is made brilliant by mixing the egg yolk with the parmesan cheese to make a delicious white sauce, that when mixed with the heavy whipping cream creates a fantastic sauce that coats the noodles just right, and provides a great number of healthy fats suitable for the ketogenic diet.
If you want more keto pasta recipes, you might like my Keto Bolognese as well.
How many calories in carbonara pasta?
All the nutritional information should be in the table below. These nutritional panels make it so easy to find out how many carbs, calories and fats you’re getting with this recipe so you can plug it into your keto app super easily.
Keto Carbonara Pasta
- 60 g Chicken Breast 2 oz
- 150 g bacon 5 oz
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream Thicken Cream
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 Packet Miracle Noodles
- Dice the bacon, and cook in a frying pan until the outside changes colour, but doesn’t go crispy. Remove from the pan.
- Dice the chicken and do the same. Cook for around 5 mins. Remove from the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg yolk and the parmesan cheese together until it forms a paste.
- In the previous frying pan on medium heat, add ½ the total amount of cream, and mix the parmesan and egg mixture into the cream. This will take some mixing.
- Eventually, add the remaining cream and the chicken and bacon. continue stirring.
- Open the bag of miracle noodles, and dry fry them in a separate frying pan for 10 mins.
- Mix the appropriate noodles into the sauce and serve.