Bagels are a very popular breakfast or lunchtime option that are ready to grab and go. Its so disappointing when you try to go keto and keep it simple, but it just ends up being harder than you thought. Well, that’s when these amazing keto bagels come in. They really aren’t that hard to make, and you’ll have enough for a whole weeks worth of lunches, or 2-3 days worth of breakfast and lunch combined.
Everybody has been searching my website for a bagel recipe, and since I’m one of the keto bread makers going round on the internet, you’d assume I’d already come up with one… well its better late than never!
I’ve made keto pretzels before using a similar type of dough, but these bagels really take the prize in the category of tasting like real bread. Honestly, I wouldn’t even know these were keto until someone told me. The egg wash on the outside, combined with the sesame seed topping is literally the closest thing I’ve come to making real bread type recipes.
The best topping for these buns is cream cheese, dill, smoked salmon and cracked pepper. It is making me drool writing this post because I know how good these taste. You HAVE to make these this weekend, and if you don’t, it means I’ve done something wrong.
Grain free bagels are the best way to keep lunches interesting, while still adhering to the ketogenic diet. They are gluten free, low carb and best of all keto friendly.
Make sure whilst baking these low carb fathead dough bagels that you don’t burn them. Every oven is different, so make sure you watch them after the 10-minute mark to make sure the edges don’t go too brown. I always set the timer for 10 mins, check them, then check every 5-minute interval after that.
I hope you enjoy making these bagels as much as I did creating them.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (355 F)
- Place the mozarella into a microwave safe bowl, and heat for 2 Mins (You can do this in a double boiler if you don't have a microwave)
- Remove and mix in the cream cheese and 2 eggs. (keep a little egg white for later to glaze the bagels).
- In a seperate bowl, Mix the almond flour, whey protien powder and baking powder together until well mixed together. Add this to the hot cheese mixture.
- Make sure you mix the cheese and almond flour mixture very well. You don't want to see any clumps of almond flour in the mixture.
- Cut the mixture in the bowl into 6 peices (using three cuts. one in half, and two in diagonal directions). Remove each of the 6 peices and roll into a 6 inch long sausage.
- Get a baking tray, cover with partchment paper and place your sausage looking rolls onto the tray, and make them into circles, joining the edges togther with your fingers.
- Using the left over egg white, brush each bagel and cover with sesame seeds.
- Place in the oven for 15 - 20 mins until just before it starts to turn brown. Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy.